Student representatives from six high schools gathered at Tennessee Wesleyan College for the East Tennessee Regional Math Contest. The event, held on Thursday, April 15th, was sponsored by the Tennessee Mathematics Teachers’ Association.
The college reports the first place winners for each of the six categories were:
- Algebra 1 – Kaitlyn Winder, Athens City Middle School
- Geometry – Janice Walden, Meigs County High School
- Algebra 2 – Justin Nile, McMinn County High School
- Statistics – Sam Griffey, Walker Valley High School
- Pre-Calculus – Jacob Judd, Walker Valley High School
- Calculus – Benjamin Burton, Walker Valley High School
Other schools participating were: Athens City Middle School, McMinn Central High School, Tennessee Christian Preparatory School. Click here for a full list of winners.
The Tennessee Mathematics Teachers’ Association (TMTA) gave its first math contest exam nearly 60 years ago. In order to participate in the contest, students must take an 80-minute exam that aligns with the math class in which they are enrolled at the time.
TMTA also holds a Middle Tennessee and a West Tennessee Region contest with similar requirements.